Fattoush means "moistened bread", and this salad consists of a chilled mixed salad tossed with small cubes of toasted bread. The texture of the toasted bread adds an unusual quality.
- 2 or 3 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded, deribbed, and diced
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 small lettuce, shredded
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint or 1 tsp. dried mint
- 1 pita bread (or 2-3 slices of bread), toasted and cut into cubes
- A dressing made from equal amounts of olive oil and lemon juice and seasoned with salt and black pepper. (Make plenty of dressing and store whatever you do not use in the fridge.)
Combine the vegetables, herbs, and bread. Make the dressing, pour it over the salad, toss well, and chill for 30-60 minutes before serving. For an authentic Arabic flavor, the dressing should be made of equal parts of oil and lemon juice. However, you may prefer to use more oil - perhaps two to three parts of oil to one of lemon juice. Serves 4 to 6.